Monday, August 6, 2012

Hannah Looks Up

by K

The following presentation was used to teach the story of Hannah to preteen girls on a Sunday at church. The idea was to demonstrate to young women a total trust and reliance on God, and how the willingness towards obedience to Him goes hand-in-hand with being faithful and receiving His blessings.

This is not prosperity doctrine as Hannah never expected to prosper--only asked one small blessing, that she have a child. Her response of gratitude demonstrated she would have easily accepted having no more children even after giving her only son, Samuel, up for a lifetime of service to the Lord. Total trust.

Story of Hannah

* * *


by C

It must have been so important for women to have children in those days. I know how important it is now because I can't imagine not having my kids!

So Hannah prays and tells God that she will give her child's services to the lord if he lets her conceive and have a child! When she does give birth I notice it was important to point out that she would never cut his hair.

Well looks like Hannah was perfectly willing to honor her vow to god. Having such a hard and long time to conceive a child then sending him away when he reached age.

I see a lot of parenting lessons in this chapter. Even though Hannah sent Samuel away she was dedicated in her love to him. Interesting how it describe how she made him a robe every year and took it to him when she went to visit him.

It's to bad that she had to leave him in the hands of Eli.
Now talk about bad parenting skills! Eli knew his children were wicked. Stealing from the burnt offerings to God. Sexual inappropriateness etc. corrupt ministers in Gods house.
Eli being told that his sons were corrupt did nothing more than scold them.

As parents I think that you and I know that there has to be consequences for bad behavior. Our example and leadership skills show the children that they must and are expected to do the right thing. Nobody likes to punish their kids ( I hope) but lessons need to be taught.
Eli was not willing to go the distance for his children and I am sure it will cost him in the end!


* * *

by K

I think about the incredible sacrifice by Hannah and the trust to give her son to Eli without really knowing whether Eli had good parenting skills! Yipes!

I think letting go of children is a very hard thing for a mother to do.


* * *

by C

I have a hard time letting go. But I want them to spread their wings and use what I have taught them.

I have seen mothers walk away and can't understand it?

No comments:

Post a Comment