Wednesday, July 25, 2012

If You've Got Real Faith, it Should Show!


The source is http://www.bibletrack.org.  I'm not ashamed to admit these ideas are not my own.  I also try to identify sources when I'm clearly leaning on those more schooled than I am on Biblical truths.  

---
Recall some background

Who wrote James?

James was the brother of Jesus.  He died in 62AD so this must have been before then.  Also, this is not one of the two James that were two of the first 12 disciples of Jesus.  James was the leader of the original church in Jerusalem. 

Chapter 1

Do you recall what chapter 1 was about
Verses 1-2 trial and temptation – how Satan uses trials to tempt us to react.
 
Verses 3-5 - James ties the trial to the development of patience. When you react with patience, you get a successful experience behind you.  You now have hope of knowing you can lean on God again through the next trial.

Verses 6-8 - correct prayer is “God, show me whether it’s what you want for me, and if it’s not what you want from me, give me the heart change to adjust my will to yours.”

Verses 9-11  -If you are poor (if you have trials), be proud of the eternal wealth you have.  And if you are rich, be humbled by the fact that these rewards are temporary, not eternal.  And be careful you don’t fade away into it—don’t become stingy with your money.

Verse 12 - What is he talking about with the crown of life?  So if you endure the temptation by not reacting badly to a temptation of a trial, you will receive a crown of life!

Verses 13-15 - Trial verses chastisement. Satan brings trials – God allows it to test—like Job. God will allow the consequences of the sin to bring chastisement.

James Chapter 2

What does it mean to be saved?
So, if  you are saved – can anyone take that away from you?
John 10:27-29
27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all[a]; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand.

So, once you’re saved you’re always saved.

So, why be obedient?  Why not do whatever you want… after all, you can’t lose your salvation, right?


Here’s the thing… when you’re saved, you’re given the Holy Spirit which dwells within you, and the evidence of that Holy Spirit are the fruit of the Spirit- (Galatians 5:16-26)

Since you know a Believer by her fruit, The Holy Spirit protects you from falling into bad behaviors like in James Verses 1-13 – talks about setting the bar high on how you treat each other – respect for each other  - respect to God

Some people read those verses and think- wow- that’s setting the bar too high. But remember, when you’re saved, you can lean on the Holy Spirit to help you meet that bar.

The natural tendency for the saved person leaning on the Holy Spirit is to want to do good works.

And that’s how the world knows us.  From our Fruit

James 2:14 – So what good is it to have faith if you don’t have good deeds?   -- what’s James saying?

James 2:15-16 – Have you ever said to someone, “I’m so sorry- I’ll pray for you.”  Ho hum.  What good are you?

James 2:17 – James is being pretty strong in his answer – What good are you with faith without deeds—dead.

James 2:18-19-  Demons know God---and shutter – this is real – so real that… - Calling on Christ when scared

James 2:20-24 – Abraham
Compare to Romans  4:1-5 on Abraham

James 2:25-26 Rahab

No comments:

Post a Comment