Sunday, July 29, 2012

The Hot Buffoon

from K

So Samson was appointed to lead Israel from out of Philistinian domination but did everything he could to abandon what God's mission for him was--even to marry a Philistinian woman.  But God used that very act of disobedience to further His plan-- creating disharmony right from the start of the week  of his wedding to her.  

I'm imagining the foxes tied together by their tails with fiery torches to tear through the Philistinian villages.  Seems like Hollywood would have a field day with a scene like that - they should make a movie!


* * *


from J


I agree the foxes tied together would be interesting to see. 

I know the combination of Samson and Delilah, do I am looking forward to diving deeper in that. 

My bible said that even though Samson lead Israel for 20 years, he never delivered them from the philistines. 


* * *

from K

I had never heard of the jawbone weapon but 1000 men?  

Sometimes when I read about Samson I think of the big hunk of a football player in high school that all the girls liked.  He was so handsome and rugged and cool and popular that he just got drunk on himself and stepped all over everyone around him without even noticing.  Buddy Shivel (name changed for this blog).  He was hot. My sister was two years older than me and a popular cheerleader (she had the Susan Dey hair!!!!).  And even she felt uncomfortable around Buddy-- like she didn't exist-- he was in his own dynasty and people just flocked around him.  But if Edie (my sister) felt uncomfortable, you can imagine I really wanted nothing to do with being around Buddy-- I was pretty cool and cute, but I enjoyed a few friendships and preferred being a bit of a loner-- the crowd looked like a bunch of bafoons to me.  Still though-- Buddy was hot, and when he approached me at a party, half drunk, and looked me up and down with approval, I thought I was about to run!  He said, "who are you?"  I couldn't answer him--- he was like a Samson-- big, powerful, high on himself-- anything I'd say would be ignored anyway.  All I could get out was…. "Edie's sister."  Can you imagine?  What worse thing could I have thought of to say to the most popular football player in school but to identify myself as Edie's sister--- like I was nobody without the cheerleader sister!!!  You laugh now, but I about died on the spot when he just laughed at me!!!

That's how I see Samson-- so powerful and blessed but such a bafoon (is that even a word?  I don't  know but if it's not, it should be-- it would mean the popular high on himself football player who doesn't care about anything but his next social conquest).  So when I read about Samson, I see someone who should have been so in awe of God choosing him to be blessed with a purpose and with all the physical means to carry out God's purpose, but so high on himself he just wields his power in stupid football player at a beer keg party style antics which do nothing but kill and mame and cause others to kill and mame.  Still though, just like the drunk football players are fun to watch, a movie with the fox tails burning would be fun to watch!

Side note… really sad.  I later had some real estate dealings in Richmond while wrapping up my father's estate.  The commercial real estate agent I worked had the last name Shivel  I had to ask.  Turns out it was Buddy's older brother and he gave me the story about Buddy.

While in college, Buddy continued his drinking binges, and at one party hopped on a hood of a car that was backing out from a keg party. He was drunk and hooting.  The driver was drunk, and all his football buddies were laughing and hooting and drunk. Buddy slid off the hood of the car and suffered a permanent head injury and has lived mentally disabled with his parents ever since.  He's my face book friend now, and seems he spends nearly all his time on the social network.  Thank God for fb-- what else would someone like Buddy do with his time?

No comments:

Post a Comment