Monday, July 23, 2012

Who is Melchizedek?


In Hebrews 7 there is a lot of talk about Melchizedek.  It makes me want to research who this Melchizedek is!  I find it's impossible to go into the depth that would satisfy my understanding but what I've gathered is that Melchizdek shows up a couple of times in the old testament, and then Paul discusses him here in Hebrews and in Collosians.




The Jewish interpretation of who Melchizidek is conflicts with the Christian view.  Jews think Melchizedek was Shem (one of Noah's sons). But Jews do not have the benefit of Paul's inspiration from Christ.  And, back in the days of Abraham (because Melchizedek was a king who blessed Abraham and gave him gifts), the land where Melchiedek was king was basically a pagan stronghold.  

Little chance of an earthly king being a high priest worthy of blessing the father of all nations, Abraham.




Christians have lots of theories but it seems most believe Melchizedek was a theophany which is an appearance of God preincarnate which happened often in the old testament.  




Do you know about the story of Jacob wrestling with an angel?  That angel was Jesus reincarnate.  If you don't know about the wrestling story ask me sometime--it's one of the most powerful stories, in my opinion, in the old testament, and one that's a cornerstone of my approach to raising boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment