Monday, July 23, 2012

Can We Apply Isaiah's Warning to the Israelites to Our Personal Walk?



by H


We talked about mega churches and the message that they sometimes promote. Well as I was reading this morning I read this verse and it made me think of it. The last part of Isaiah 30:10 says "Give us no more visions of what is right! Tell us pleasant things prophesy illusions. " the rest of the chapter continues about this. I know you may already be aware of this part of the bible. 

I have given a lot of thought about our discussions on the view that " if you believe then only good things will happen" I know that is not exactly what we discussed but I do think it was something to that effect.  pastor Rob does not preach that way and he is a realist and says that sometimes bad things can and will happen in life. 




 











* * *



from K









That sounds fascinatingly interesting.  Try Bible tracks and then teach me so that I can catch up.  
I do know that it's prophesied that in the end times there will be many false teachers and apostasy will predominate. (Apostasy is when the truth of the gospel will be tweaked just enough to sound like the truth but wrong enough to pull many away from salvation). Somewhere in the Bible (see, I don't know it well enough to quote it or find the right verse) it says that in those days people will go their own way and follow theologies that suit their own desires and miss the truth.  Does that sound familiar?  That's why Christ says in the end there will be those who say "Didn't we prophesy in your name saying 'Lord, Lord'" and he will say "go away from me, I don't know you."   




 I can't pretend to know the whole deal-- just enough to know God doesn't just want lip service and occasional salutations, he wants my whole heart-- and why shouldn't he get it.  I never heard of anyone on their death bed saying "I wish I were more successful in life", but I hear of people with regrets that they didn't love their family enough, they didn't help the poor enough-- they chased after silly things in life.

* * *




from K





While researching Isaiah 30, I came across this devotion from Charles Stanley (good pastor) on Isaiah 30:21.  It's about hearing God's voice and obedience.

http://www.intouch.org/you/article-archive/content/topic/the_adventure_of_obedience 



 This isn't about Isaiah 30:10 but it seems to me the question you're asking is whether it's appropriate to take the warning that Isaiah is relaying to the Hebrews at that time and apply the same warnings to us as Christ followers in our own lives.

What Stanley does in this devotion is exactly that!  He's taking Isaiah's admonition in 30:21 and applying to us in our own lives.

So if that can be done in verse 21, I would conclude that in the context of Isaiah's writing in all of Chapter 30, it's valid to do the same.

Do you think so?

No comments:

Post a Comment