Saturday, November 10, 2012

The Raising of Lazarus from the Dead

From KH

I like to notice the odd things that most people overlook. After the resurrection of Lazerus, a bunch of the people went running to the Pharisees and the high priest, Caiaphas, to tell them about this. Watch Caiaphas's reaction-- he's unknowingly prophesies the crucifixion of Christ. He says it's better for one man to die than for the whole nation to be destroyed. He felt so threatened by the people's willingness to believe in Christ over the authority of the Pharisees and Saducies. 

Another note about Caiafas being a Saducie. Saducies were different from the Pharisees. Pharisees believed in an afterlife, but Saducees did not. So for Caiafas to hear about Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead after 4 days was going against everything he believed. His belief system of no afterlife was another obstacle to seeing Jesus as the Messiah.


From BH

verse 17 grabbed my attention. it says how Jesus waited four days to resurrect Lazarus. this verse made me think because I was wondering why He would wait four days to resurrect him. I think he did that because he needed to wait for more people to witness the resurrection. At the time, there was probably not as much people as he wanted there to be at the tomb. Also in verse 41 and 42 Jesus was talking to God. He asked God that the people standing around him would believe Jesus is the Messiah after they see this miracle. Then he raised Lazarus from the dead. The reason I also mentioned these 2 verses is because you can tell that Jesus wanted people watching Him during the miracle. These 2 verses also helped me with my question because when I read it, it made me think that God wanted lots of people watching him.

No comments:

Post a Comment